Saturday, November 21, 2015

WALLS OF JERICHO interview with Candace Kucsulain

by marcs77

I hadn't pre-arranged anything for this interview to happen but being at the Radio Onda D'urto show, where Detroit, MI's long-running hardcore powerhouse WALLS OF JERICHO were going up on stage right before the headliner Biohazard, I bumbed into Candace Kucsulain (WOJ's vocals) and jumped at the chance to ask her if she was up for a chat for an interview feature on gotanerve-zine.com. And not much of a surprise she was okay to reply a few questions just informing that she unfortunately had a pretty sore throat and wished to spare her voice as much as she could for the show -fully understandable but, however, it speaks volume about the dedication these guys have to their work and fans.
Read on what Candace had to say and be on the look out for the new album and follow-up to 2008's “The American Dream” to come out in 2016 via Napalm records.

gan: How're things today? You guys are on your European summer tour...

It's going okay...well, we're on our sixth date and then we have got a few more days left. The shows have been really good. Better than expected actually...in areas were we hadn't been in while and we've been doing some open air festivals which it's been nice but smaller club shows is really what a like to do. So the rest is going good.

gan: What are your personal expectations on tonight show?

I have no expectations. We've never played this so we don't know...ah it seems like it's gonna be good. Usually festivals would have already started (it's around 9.00 pm). So it's just interesting to see such a big venue but there's only a few bands playing. I've never really experiences something like this. I think it's a big thing...is being going for two weeks, right?

gan: In the past they had a lot hardcore punk bands playing here, they've got the likes of Sick Of It All, Agnostic Front, Suicidal Tendencies, Nofx, Pennywise, Hot Water Music (to name a few)...

That's cool, that's a very cool thing to do...

gan: I must admit I can remember the exact date/year your last album came out but I'm sure it's been a while since its release and you've been playing and touring a lot on it. Are you already down working to the follow up?

We're actually into the pre-production and as soon we go home from this tour we start the recording of the new record with Ben Schigel at Spider Studios, Cleveland, OH.



gan: And how many records you guys have out?

I don't know...I should know this (laugh). This is terrible...probably they're five or six...it's terrible but, you know, it's been like 16 years so I kind of forget a little bit...

gan: At the beginning I remember you were on Trustkill...

Genet record was the first (“A Day and a Thousand Years” EP out in USA through Eulogy recordings) and then Trustkill.

gan: What's your personal favourite record, songs you like to play live or the ones that get better crowd reactions?

“Feeding Frenzy” is my favourite song to sing live and that's off “The American Dream” (2008). And my favourite record I think is “With Devils Amongst Us All” (2006).

gan: And what about the reaction from the kids is there any songs you feel like goes over better than others?

“The American Dream”. People really like this song and “Revival Never Goes Out of Style” (off “All Hail The Dead”, 2004). These two go over really really well. People sing along to “The American Dream” part...you know, the «FUCK The American Dream» part.

gan: But do you think your fans are more into the mosh thing or sing along one?

Mostly moshing I think but you can tell that people kind of want to sing along but it's hard because I don't think our records are over here...or whatever...but if the people learn one lyrics they will, you know? But it's also everything is in English and there's that situation too. So people love move and if they move that's all I want.

gan: I don't wanna steal you more time, I'm just happy with what I've got and thank you for being so kind to have this nice chat with me. If you wish adding anything...

We'll be back after the album is out. It should definitely be out in the new year.

Check: www.facebook.com/WallsofJericho

Photo credits: http://music.michelleolaya.com/ www.facebook.com/xmdmxhcxphotos

No comments:

Post a Comment